Easy Kids Crafts: How to make a telephone with plastic cups
LEVEL: Pre-K +
TIME: Less than 30 Minutes
DIFICULTY LEVEL: Easy
- -Two plastic cups (or recycled cans)
- -Some string
- -2 Small wooden sticks or Paper clips
- -For smaller kids: sharpened pencil for poking holes
- Cut a piece of thread of about 6 feet in length
- Take the cup and poke a hole on the top of it
- Pass the thread through the hole
- Attach the thread in the middle of the small stick
- Repeat the procedure with the second cup and stick
- How does it work?
- After you are done building the phone, ask a friend to play with you. Ask your friend to hold one cup while you hold the other. Pull the cups so that the string is tight
- but not to tight that it might break. Ask your friend to talk into the cup while you hold the other cup to your ear. You can each take turns talking and listening.
- Have fun!
- Science behind the craft:
- When someone talks into a cup, the bottom of the cup vibrates and thus transmits sound waves
- that travel through the string, which reach the other cup and then can be heard.
- Subject: Sound waves
Seasonal: Fall, Seasonal: Summer, Seasonal: Spring, Recycling, Handmade Toys, Gifts To Give, Functional, Easy, All Arts And Crafts, Children Projects, crafts
PHOTO BY www.simplekidscrafts.com
TEXT BY www.simplekidscrafts.com
VIDEO BY www.simplekidscrafts.com
Adult supervision is always required when making crafts with children. Click here to view security tips when making crafts with children.